Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Reading NYTimes.com

So as you can tell all my reading of the New York Times has been online...I'm not sure I've even touched an actually newspaper in a while...but that's beside the point.

I've noticed that while reading I've been drawn to technology stories, which surprise's me honestly. It might be partly because we've been talking about the internet and Facebook and all that a lot recently. I find stories about medical findings pretty interesting as well but I usually have to search for those a bit since they don't turn up on the first page very often. I've also found that I like the international stories better than the stories about the U.S. Oftentimes (oops sorry...often) I briefly skim over the first page and then skip to the world news page. I think this is because most of the news in the US centers around the Presidential race, which I do keep up on, but I get tired of the repetitious new cycles. When I don't find anything that looks interesting I go to the link that shows the most popular articles of the day. I feel like I'm cheating when I do that but I almost always find something fun to read. On a side note, some of the most popular articles are really disappointing because a lot of them are about the most superficial topics you can find. I lose a little bit of faith in humanity every time I look at that page. 

Lately, I feel divided when I read. I feel like I've been obligated to do something that I don't want to do. Like reading news about politics for example, all my classes have stressed to me over and over that I MUST keep up on the political events and actors and such but I have a very hard time doing so because there is no part of me that enjoys reading about politics. The Daily Show helps but, even then, I get bored or simply find the subject...distasteful. I also feel like I have some catching up to do. I'm starting to realize that there are a lot of things that have happened in recent history that, because I haven't been paying much attention to the news, I don't know much about. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I always have a sense of missing out on smaller news that the media system doesn't deem important.

No comments:

Post a Comment